Friday, November 28, 2008

Louisa May Alcott got it wrong.

As you can see from this picture, Little Women is one of my favorite books. Sure, its a little preachy, but still, its a good book.

As long as you ignore the fact that LOUISA MAY ALCOTT GOT IT WRONG!!!


Laurie was never supposed to end up with Amy. Amy is the spoiled little brat who doesn't deserve him, and could have married any number of other rich guys. Jo, however, did deserve him, and they would have been happy together, regardless of what she thinks.


Every time I read it, I try to stop at a point before Jo ends up with the professor and before Amy and Laurie get married, but I always keep going and ruin it for myself. If you just read Part I, you can tell at the end that she clearly intends for the two of them to get together. I don't know what happened in between writing Part I and Part II that killed the relationship for her, but I wish it hadn't happened. If I were at all a writer, I would write the correct version, just for myself.

I always mean to buy myself a good, hard cover copy of Little Women to replace this one. But every time I go to read it I can't bear to part with this copy. I got it when I was about 8 I think, after my mother discovered the copy I had been reading was an abridged version. I had made a comment about how weird it was that they don't really talk about what happened to Beth after a certain point. My mom and my sister both thought it was odd that I hadn't gotten that Beth died. The book just said, "Beth went to a better place." and I thought they'd sent her to the beach to live, for health reasons. And I thought they'd at least go visit her or bring her home for big events. In my defense, they did take Beth to the beach earlier in the book for her health. Its not like I just came up with the beach being the "a better place." And I was not raised in a religious household, so how was I supposed to know that "better place" meant heaven? Anyway- this is the unabridged copy that was purchased for me, and I've read it I don't know how many times.

I always feel guilty over the fact that I re-read books many, many times. I should be reading something new and finding something else I like. But then I think- Its not like I only read books I've read before, and if I enjoy it, why not?

2 comments:

runnerdude said...

What do you mean, "if I could write."
You are a fine writer.

soniasax said...

i agree. winona ryder should've ended up with christan bale. (i've only seen the movie).