Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Holy cow

I just experienced my first earthquake and I have to admit I'm a
little shaken up.

The ground still feels like it's moving, and the earthquake was about
an hour ago.

I was walking a construction site, and one of the guys goes,
"earthquake." and I was kind of sad I missed it and then I felt the
ground start rumbling.

A construction site is probably not where one wants to be during an
earthquake. But luckily my site is awaiting it's first inspection, and
everything is fairly well secured. And the base building is really
solid, brand new construction, concrete.

The head guy tells everyone to start heading for the doors, which is
of course an order I was happy to follow. I got outside, and was
shaking and said, "I feel like the ground is still moving." my
contactor said, "that's because it is." you could see the power lines
swaying. The construction guys were sooo non-chalant. One was on the
third floor balcony and yelled, "come up here. You can feel it
better." No thank you.

I think I can go a good long while without going through that again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it was moderate. I've experience a magnitude 5 earthquake before as well and it seems to last an eternity even if its only a few seconds.

you guys had about 34 aftershocks though...thats probably why it felt super long. I would have been freaked out as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that it was moderate. I've experience a magnitude 5 earthquake before as well and it seems to last an eternity even if its only a few seconds.

you guys had about 34 aftershocks though...thats probably why it felt super long. I would have been freaked out as well.

soniasax said...

i'd probably have had an anxiety attack. LOL @ the construction workers. those guys are nuts.