Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's finally caught up with me.

When I moved here I was too broke to register my car in California so
I was waiting until the registration expired and I figured I'd do it
then.

Then I got hit by the drunk driver right as it expired, and I was out
of pocket some money and I didn't have the money then either.

Then, I kind of had the money, but didn't want to spend it on
something like car registration. Nor did I want to deal with the DMV.

Today I got to the airport and parked at 5:30am and caught my flight.
I was dead tired. So when I got back and my car was missing, I figured
I must have forgotten where I parked it. I spent a full hour walking
through the garage looking for it before giving up and going to the
booth to ask if they could help me find it.

They inform me that it's probably been towed, and I need to call the
airport police. They tell me that yes, it has been towed and I can get
it back when I register my car. I have to take an airport shuttle to
the police station to get proof of insurance out of my glove box. I am
sitting in the airport police station lobby right now, where I am
waiting for a friend to come and pick me up so I don't have to pay for
a 40 mile cab ride in rush hour traffic.

Tomorrow morning I will have to take a cab to the nearest DMV, pray I
have everything I need to get my car registered and then take a cab
here and give them paper work proving my car is registered. Then pay
the impound fee, the ticket, the tow charge, etc.

All by an 11am meeting. I should just cancel that right now.

Frankly, it would be easier to rent a car tomorrow and deal with this
on the weekend, but I can't rent a car because I don't have a credit
card. The only way I can rent a car is if I have plane tickets proving
I've got a return flight.

This is all my own fault. Every last bit of it. But that doesn't mean
it doesn't suck. Hopefully I have the money to cover all of this
tomorrow.

No comments: