Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Oh Coachella, you're killing me.

Coachella is a Southern California institution in which I will never be able to participate. 50,000 people in 100 degree plus temperatures watching bands perform on stages that they can't really see isn't exactly my scene. I wouldn't enjoy it. Too many people, too hot. Too little pay off.

The problem is that bands sign agreements saying they won't play LA for a set amount of time preceeding and following the event. This is what makes it so terrible. Islands is playing Coachella. And right after they announce playing Coachella, they put a song up that blows everything else they've done out of the water. "The Arm" went up on Myspace this morning, and I can't even count how many times I've listened to it. I want to cry its so good.

Everyone else is raving about Vampire Weekend, and don't get me wrong, I love Vampire Weekend. Its a fun CD. But I listen to parts of it and think, "Islands would have done this better." And so recently I've been really feeling the void left by no new Islands since early December 2005. We've gotten a few bootleg songs, and stuff like "Don't Take My Wings Away" but no real studio produced songs. And then they give me "The Arm" and just kill me. I have no fears about what Nick is creating without J'aime (and Alden.) He's doing just fine.

Anyway, They're leaving to tour Europe soon. Will come back and probably have the Coachella ban, and it won't be until May or June that I get to see them.

No comments: